Monday, December 14, 2009

Spiritual Running; Running with The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success

I watched Spirit of the Marathon a while back which is a movie that follows Deena Kastor and 5 other runners training for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. One runner was talking about how she always has to time her runs and she see's people running without a watch and refers to them as "zen runners".  It's a real short snippet of the movie but that term has stuck with me. I am not a super spiritual person but I do have (and need!) my spiritual moments. I read Deepak Chopra's, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success and I try to apply them to my life. I initially read the book to find guidance as an entrepreneur. A few months ago I started applying "the laws" to running. Here are the laws and (briefly) how I think they apply to running:

1) The Law of Pure Potentiality; this is pure consciousness... be the run. You might know this as the runner's high.  Or if you have never run before but you can see yourself running you can run!
 
2) The Law of Giving (and receiving); Train fast run fast... Teach running learn running... there's probably a lot of other ways you can get deep on that one.  See what you come up with at Mile 19.

3) The Law of Karma or "Cause and Effect"; Similar to the one before but I think the law of giving is physical while this is one is more mental. Think about being positive on a run as opposed to negative or turning a negative vibe into a positive vibe while on a run. 

4) The Law of Least Effort; This is my favorite law... This is "the zone". 

5) The Law of Intention and Desire; This one's tricky because getting caught up in desire will derail your intention but it is important to desire, to believe, feel it and see it BUT relinquish your attachment to the outcome. In other words, set qualifying for Boston or the Western States 100 as a goal but don't stress it away!


6) The Law of Detachment; This one's a little tricky too... It is crucial to detach from the outcome of the result of your intentions and desires. This means you're truly believing in yourself. It allows you to step into the unknown where you will have a blank slate to create. In relation to running, practicing this law will help you to continue running. Have you ever burned yourself out on running? I believe it is important to not force runs.

7) The Law of Dharma or Purpose in Life; Whatever you truly want running to be in your life, it will be that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails